Saturday, November 19, 2005

Ahoy from the engine room

Okay, if the world of comedy were a cruise ship, then I am somewhere near the engine room. I am trying to get a room above the water line, and then, eventually, a state room on the lido deck. But for now, I thought I would just provide an update on things down here near the engine room.

I did three shows last week. Last Saturday I was at 50 Mason Lounge, a club where I perform about once a month. That show went well-- got lots of good feedback. Then on Thursday, I produced my first show at a bar in my neighborhood. I have hosted lots of shows, but this was the first time I did everything-- I found the place, I promoted it, I booked the comedians. I invited everyone I could think of who might come, and none of them came. I understand, you know? It was a Thursday night, people get busy, people forget. Still I expected a few people to come.

I put up posters and distributed flyers in the neighborhood, and I thought that would generate some people. Not so. As far as I could tell, everyone was there incidentally. That is, they were just there to have a drink, and then didn't object to the comedy.

So anyway, not many people, and what people were there were somewhat indifferent. Oh well, it happens. So I opened/warmed up the crowd. It was a great line-up - a veritable dream team of some of my favorite friend/comedians in the area. The crowd grew a little bit through the show, but never got really engaged.

About halfway into the show, and old guy, very drunk, wandered in, sat right in front, and started trying to make conversation with the comedian on stage, and with the bartender. At a VERY high volume. I don't think he meant to be a giant disruptive pain in the ass, but that's what he was. He was a huge distraction until he finally wandered off.

Anyway, I was reasonably happy with how the show went. As much as I did to promote it, I have to do more next time.

Last night I did a show at the comedy college. The audience was, shall I say, small. Okay there were two people. Two. There were a handful of other comedians, but only two real audience members. It was frustrating because I had been out flyering, which, if you read my earlier post, you know how much I enjoy. Two weeks ago, we filled the room to standing room only, and had a killer show. Last night, two. It's a little tough to do a show for two people. But you know what? I did it, I lived, and I'm moving on. I'm hosting an open mike tonight, and then I think I can take it easy until after Thanksgiving.

3 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

comedy is one of the toughest ways of making a living but,done with thought and relentless commitment is not only good for your soul it is also what entertainment is all about.Laughter is what makes me want to sing and dance to life.with all the negitives in this world there is nothing more refreshing then a down right good belly laugh.I swear I'm transported to a happy planet, one I want to visit time and time again when I'm entertain by a funny comedian.keep on keeping on...lol

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I love what anonymous just said. All very true..
Your commitment to what you do is so remarkable. I picture you standing up there, persevering with two people in your audience and I can't believe how brave you are. And you sound so humble..
Your resiliance makes me feel like trying harder at the things I do.

I KNOW you're going to make it.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger changeseeker said...

This was painful to read because I relate. After spending nine months writing a book I've been told by some people who would know is a real page-turner (about my life, for God's sake, so I'm way heavily invested), I've been waiting for nearly three months to hear from the latest publisher I sent it to, who didn't even bother to send me a form-letter rejection in the envelope I provided!?! And I'm already half way through the second book (on something else, but really commercial this time--it just worked out that way--I mean, I've only had one life--that I remember). Anyway, watcha gonna do? I'm a writer. Whether I get a whole book published tomorrow or ever. Do I think I'm gonna get a book published? Yeah. At some point. Maybe tomorrow. Or year after next. :-) But in the meantime, I'm doing what I do. And...bottom line...loving it. But wishing I could hear that applause, uh, well, now would be good. Sigh. I'm so feelin' ya...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home