Friday, October 14, 2005

The Results are In, and the Winner Is...

Well,

Thanks to the many of you who offered an opinion about my headshots. 40 comments (so far) is a lot for me! And to think, all I had to do was ask you to judge me.

Without further ado, here are the very unscientific results:

The clear winner...

"None of the Above, Try Again."

Some of the highlights:

Kirin said...

Is it ok for a comic to have a headshot where you look attrative? I mean just because you are a comic, must you have a goofy photo?(I am being sincere, not snotty. don't take any offense. I mean I implied you could be attractive;)

Well, I didn't know I had a goofy photo. But I think it's appropriate that a comedian who is only funny-ish would have a headshot that says, "hey, he could be attractive."

Anon 2:15 said...

Well..since you asked...I never have cared much for #1 since you put it up. I agree with kirin..it looks "scowly". #2 is kinda cute but goofy but at least better than the scowl. I'm just sayin is all...
Loopy said...

I definitely like #1 better -- stronger personality. The thought bubble I imagine over your head is, "Hmm ..." as if you're mulling over something someone's just said to you while you keep intense eye contact. If it's a scowl, it's one of an intelligent person's concentration; not unfriendly. But I don't get the bemusement aspect, though. ;o)
Now we're getting somewhere! This is more along the lines of what I saw in #1.

k's sis said...

i like them both....but when i make the face you're making in the first one,it gives me a headache. you look more comfortable in the 2nd one! = )
Hard to disregard k's, sis! I'm actually pretty comfortable with both faces, but I don't want to give anyone a headache. I don't really want to hear, "Look, honey! It's the comedian that gave me a migraine!"

Changeseeker said...

You're not going to like this, Ish, and frankly, I have no idea what makes for a good commedic head shot and these are clearly professional quality, but I don't think either one is what you want.

Oof. And these two were the best ones. Out of fifty! Look away, I'm hideous!

riseyp said...

I want more to choose from!

I do too, but I paid $220 for these headshots, which is cheap. Out of fifty photos, these were the best ones. (There weren't even that many contenders.) I guess you get what you pay for.

haji-o-matic said...

try again

Candor, thy name is, apparently, haji-o-matic.

Anonymous 4:57am said...

Hi,I don't really care for either of those shots either.. you do look kind of "mean" in the first shot, and the other one makes me think you just got a wedgie...

Ha-ha! Funny story about that...

Anonymous 7:56am said...

#1 makes you look like you're going to kill someone in a cabin in the woods.
#2 makes you look like someone just surprised you by sticking something up your ass.
Do we have any other choices?

As I said above, sadly, for now, these are easily the best two. #2 was the one where the photographer said, "Now, make a face like I just stuck something up your ass," so it's good to know that that came across.

kim e said...

In the first pic, it looks like you're saying, 'wtf are you talking about, idiot?'. The second one is a little too clowny. Too obvious for a comedian. Sorry.

Serrephim said...

It depends on what you're going for. The first one screams "I'm hot and fuckable" The 2nd suggests you're a comedian. Is there a 3rd option combining the two?
No, but something tells me there will be...

Anonymous 10:27 said...

How about having your eyebrows land somewhere between sorta menacing and could be a doofus? In the first photo, you look like a bouncer. In the second, you appear scared of the camera. However, the composition and clarity and of the latter are vastly superior. I vote for back to the drawing board.

Okay then! How about having your comment land somewhere between candid and abrasive? (I kid.)

I think we're done here. (I hate it when my mom posts anonymously.)

So the conclusion is: None of the above, but if we had to pick one, it would be #1. But try again.

Thanks to everyone who came by! The polls are now closed.

9 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Shananigans said...

OK I know I'm late to the polls here, but I can't resist commenting. I agree that the feedback looks like #1 is the winner if there has to be one between the two, but if you're gonna use it I would strongly suggest that reprint that pantonechip (very good, constructive critique BTW) mentioned. Your head will still be cut off, the framing will still be too tight, and the shirt will still have little contrast with the background, but there will be more contrast overall instead of all that muddled gray and it will look much better. If you ever want to get some headshots done in the LA area you should check out J W Photos. He’s really good and will not charge you and arm and a leg! (OK, so he’s my boyfriend. But the work speaks for itself. If you have trouble loading the fancy-schmancy page linked above you might try the more non-professional page here.) Sorry about the super long comment! Just tryin’ to be helpful.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Shananigans said...

Sorry, just a disclaimer, those offended by naked ladies should not follow the second link (forgot those were on there).

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think k should take the next set of pictures. Something tells me your face will do different things if she's the one behind the camera. :)

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I gotta agree that neither shot is very good in a technical sense. The first is way too grey and could use a new printing. The expression in the second is somewhat more enjoyable but still lacking personality. I'm sorry to tell you this but even at $220, you overpaid. This guy seems to just be some schmo with a camera. My advice, is next time find a student who's looking to build their portfolio. It'll be cheaper (if not free) and you'll get someone who know how to light a scene and interact with the subject. Good luck.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Becki said...

I voted way too late...but I still thinks both shots were good. I say save them!

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger The Guardian said...

Clearly, I missed the poll....dang.

However, how about a shot with you smiling? Or laughing? I mean, comedians can laugh at themselves, right?

Cutie

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Sydney said...

Oh hell, I missed it too.

But anyway, fuck it. The first photo would be ok if you were a boatbuilder. I don't know why that came to mind. But it did. So like everything else, I had to say it. The second one is the one I'd go with if you had to go with one of the two because its more off-center or surprising. Which you know - comedy. Etc.

But umm... Yeah. You need a different headshot.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Dan said...

My comment, which came way too late for the poll, suggested you raise only one eyebrow.

Like a threesome with twin sisters, the best place to be is right in the middle.

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You say that these two were the best pictures of the batch. However, sometimes I think I look great in a picture that no one else does, and they will pick out pictures that I think are horrible. (Sorry its midnight and im rambling) Basically maybe you can post some other pics that you dont think are that great (but you still like) so we have a bit more to chose from. We might actually like some of those better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home