Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Still living the dream

I performed at a new place in Oakland last night. It was the first time I'd performed in the East Bay. It's a weird room - really more like a theatre crossed with a punk club. Winter Garden meets CBGB.

The audience was comprised of 12 non-comedians, 8 comedians. Technically, of the non-comedians, 2 were venue staff, 2 were related to a comedian, one was a boyfriend, and one was a girlfriend. 2 more were friends of one of the comedians. That leaves, I believe, 4 audience members who came under no obligation. One of them was so drunk he could barely sit upright. He was okay though, just a minor distraction. (Hi, Greg.)

And I'm fine with a small crowd. I'm used to it. I'll do a show for two people. I have done a show for two people. I'm still not able to do the same show for two that I would for 100-- I don't get as energized. This is something I'm getting better at. I want to be able to do a good set whether I come on first for a fresh crowd, or last in front of a room that's dead. I tend to reflect the energy level of the room, instead of bringing my own energy. I take the audience's energy, instead of giving them mine.

I could have done better last night. At one point, I thought about abandoning material and just talking to the audience, but I didn't. I probably should have, since they were dead and my material wasn't doing much. I didn't have anything to lose really. At least they would have known I was in the same room.

It's another show, another venue in the books. I still had fun, plus I got to go to the best barbecue place in the Bay Area.

4 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger JenL said...

Ok, I need to know. Where is the best barbeque place in the Bay Area?

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Ish said...

Well, this is just my opinion, but I think it's Everett & Jones, 2nd and Broadway in Oakland. I got the #9 combo, ribs, links and beef, with beans, candied yams and corn bread on the side.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger JenL said...

Thanks. We usually go to the Everett & Jones on San Pablo since it's conveniently located near Cal sporting events and across the street from The Albatross. The links are pretty tasty, but they don't offer corn bread. That really could make all the difference.

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger changeseeker said...

Jeez. I don't know, but these comments sound like somebody worked out a deal to get a free dinner. You writin' commercials these days, Ish? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home