Friday, August 12, 2005

Just another So-So Set

I did my first set at a new place last night. It wasn't exactly an audition, but the first time you go up, you want to do well, have the booker see you do well, so that he'll keep booking you and move you up the ladder.

I was a little nervous, and I felt like I was in my head a little. Not completely in my own world, but not fully dialed in with the audience. Truth be told, that was hard-- they were a tough crowd. They just didn't seem to engage. It was like I was trying to communicate through a Plexiglas partition without picking up the phone. I know I should have left my material and worked the crowd a bit-- it couldn't have heard. It's disconcerting when you are trying to connect, looking people in the eye, and you just know they are thinking, "Hmm. Where did I park? Where are we going after this? Do I need to buy milk? What did he just say?"

It wasn't just me, which was reassuring. (Props to the other comedians who were mediocre. Represent.)

It happens. I had an off-night, and ran into an audience that wasn't into it. No big.

I've got another show tonight, and I have a longer set. Usually, the crowd is pretty good at this place, and I'm there pretty often, so I am comfortable. Hopefully I will be more loose, having fun on stage, connected with my material and the audience, and whatever other positive buzzwords you want to throw in there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home