Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Greetings from Seattle

It is raining for the 1,035th day in a row in San Francisco. Yes, it's been raining for over 3 years. I don't know why this hasn't gotten wider press coverage.

Our new motto is, "if you don't like the weather, just wait ten minutes. It'll be even worse then, so you'll appreciate how good it is now."

Did a set last night at a club where I frequently perform. I haven't been getting up there as much recently because, it seems, they haven't gotten my phone messages.

The system basically works like this. You call them on Sunday for spots on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday showcases. So I'll call and leave a message saying I'd like to get on the Monday night show, or Tuesday, or Wednesday. (See how that works?) More often than not, I have gotten on. It's a good show. The audiences are usually small, but they can be pretty good. They are also mostly tourists from out of town, so you get some sense of how your jokes would play outside the warm liberal embrace of SF, where the well-funded, right-wing, conservative candidate for Mayor was the Democrat (Gavin Newsome), and he almost lost to the candidate from the Green Party (Matt Gonzales).

Lately, I haven't gotten on as much. Twice in the last 3 weeks, the booker claimed he didn't get my message. Maybe not, but twice in 3 weeks? Hmm.

Last night I was on, but I had the "bitch spot." I was first, and I only got 5 minutes. Actually, the host does his time to open the show, so I was after him. Still, you get a fairly cold audience, and 5 minutes isn't a lot of time.

I did okay, and I didn't complain. I won't complain. If there's one thing I know, it's that bookers generally (this one is no exception) don't like prima donnas. So it's all right, I will work my way back in to the heart of the lineup.

I have spent some time (too much I am sure) entertaining paranoid fantasies-- that I committed some sort of slight or faux pas. It's possible - at one show I had my time cut, and I made mention of it in a joking way. Then I ran the light, I went over my allotted time. That's never a good idea, and I have only done it a couple of times. Maybe that pissed the guy off, I don't know. It's possible. Maybe I'm not paranoid.

Anyway. My confidence isn't exactly soaring at the moment, but it'll come around. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

7 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger kristy said...

i am so glad i brought my sunglasses to work with me today.

just remember, upswings require downswings, and it's all ebb and flow. creativity, success...all hard work. if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

and remember, there are a couple hundred people in the North Bay who think you're the most talented new comedian they've seen in ages.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger ZestyJenny said...

Hi Ish,

It's Jenny from Whinger's blog with the f-ed up quote?

Just wanted to say, I enjoy your blog, and ALSO it is

S-U-N-N-Y

right now is Seattle, so there!

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So for the 3 of us that read your blogs (hi k, hi ish's mom) , why don't you post where you'll be performing?

Also would it be appropriate to ask the booker if he is pissed at you?

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate how the Seattlites are all smug now about their non-rainy weather.

Stupid rain. Even when it's sunny (now), I am suspect of the sky.

Eat humble pie with the booker.

I suppose one day I'll see you perform.

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when is there going to be another blog entry on this blog

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Green said...

I live in SF. I'd go to a comedy club. Will you post the next time you're going to be performing?

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Ish said...

Green,

Fire me an e-mail, i'll let you know. I were to post it on the internets, it might cause riots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home