Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I question the efficacy of medical marijuana

Here in San Francisco, the use of medical marijuana -- that is, weed prescribed by a doctor -- is fairly popular. It's used to treat numerous illnesses, such as glaucoma.

And they say it is effective. Fine. But I remain skeptical.

I mean, if it's so great, then why is it that since medical marijuana became available, the number of people diagnosed with glaucoma has SKYROCKETED?

According to records*, 6 in 10 San Franciscans have been diagnosed with glaucoma. And almost all of them seek to be treated with medical marijuana, many in my neighborhood. And very casually dressed pharmacists always seem to be available to attend to their patients' needs.

Nobody seems to get better, you know?

You just don't hear about people saying, "you know what? I think I'm better. I guess I can stop burning blunts." No.

What you are more likely to hear: "damn this glaucoma of mine. Why don't we spark up a prescription-strength fatty, eat some nachos and watch 'VH-1's Best Week Ever'?"

*I made this up. But it sounds plausible, no?

2 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting observation.
Has there also been a study looking into the apparent contagiousness (definitely a word) of glaucoma?

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Ish said...

it's not contagiosity? you sure?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home