Monday, January 29, 2007

Movin' on up

I am moving out of my apartment, my studio in the TenderNob. This is more than just an apartment; it is also the premise for half of my act. Am I going to change my act? Heyyeelll no. Just because I'm moving out doesn't mean I have to leave the comedy gold behind. That was not in the lease. No, I'm taking that with me.

I'm only moving three blocks, but it's a definite upgrade for me. The new place is bigger, brighter. And it's across the street from both a liquor store and a hospital. (I wish I had a $10 co-pay set up with the liquor store.)

I'm hiring movers to move my stuff. I don't have much, so I could probably have done it on my own with some help. But: 1) moving a small apartment 3 blocks isn't that expensive; and 2) I'm a grown-ass man now. I just can't do the whole "rent a truck and a dolly and co-opt your friends and make them hate you for it" thing.

I just don't want to do it anymore. Asking friends to help you move is big. It's a big boundary to cross. It's a big, awkward imposition. It's better than giving them herpes, but not by a lot.

You might think I'm exagerrating. But if you've ever had the pleasure of trying to get a sofabed down three flights of winding stairs into a truck parked on a hill, and then back out of a truck and back up three flights of winding stairs, you're probably thinking, "how bad could herpes be?"

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Fluffycat said...

I've used movers for my last couple of moves. I looked at the cost of movers versus having to buy friends a nice meal and listen to them bitch about moving my stuff, and I figured movers would be cheaper.

Not to mention that driving a UHaul truck is a pain.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Bigger and brighter sound really good to me. I share a room with my sisters and it's a basement apartment. The one window is not in the bedroom.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger OneBadSue said...

Dude - you should have asked the Sweetie and I to help. We never actually help people move, anymore. We always offer money for movers, and we're totally good for it if anyone ever takes us up on it.

We are, as you say, grown-ass people. It's time to bring in the younger, stronger backs. Plus, paying for someone to move is better than fighting the sofabed, any day.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger princess slea said...

happy new home.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger stars said...

Ok so Christmas at home with my family so clearly I have spent all day googling blogs. Yours is AMAZING! I'm dying. Would love for yout o check out mine when youg et a chance. Http://randomrageouts.blogspot.com

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

will you please start writing again in the new year? or today, today would be cool too. I really liked your china stories and the stuff before that. thank you. happy new year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home